Organization: Sierra Pacific Industries
Title: GIS / Inventory Forester
Location: Mt. Vernon, WA USA
Application Deadline: 2019-01-22
At Sierra Pacific Industries, we understand our greatest strength is the people who choose to build a career with us.
What does it mean to be part of the Sierra Pacific family? It means you are a valued team member and part of a growing third-generation family-owned forest products company built on hard work, innovation, and wise investments.
With over 5,000 crew members in over 30 states, Sierra Pacific offers many opportunities for personal and professional growth; from entry-level to skilled trades, from truck drivers to sales managers, from foresters to engineers - for everyone! We invite you to learn more about our history, our 2 million acres of forestlands, and our state-of-the-art wood product and window manufacturing facilities at www.spi-ind.com/Home/AboutUs.
Our Forestry Division has an opening for a qualified Inventory Forester with a working knowledge of forest inventory methods and Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The successful applicant will work out of the Burlington, Washington office. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who shares our passion for land stewardship and the forest industry and seeks to advance their career.
About The Position
• Maintain and update GIS files, data, and software
• Develop GIS tools and products for use by other district personnel
• Maintain and update forest inventory data
• Manage annual inventory data collection
• Train and check cruise seasonal inventory foresters and contract cruisers
• Annual timber harvest depletions and reporting
• Provide GIS training and support to other district personnel
• Support acquisitions and other special projects
• Assist with work on district programs, including silviculture, road maintenance, harvest permits, and field work
• Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry, GIS, or related field preferred
• Working knowledge of forest inventory methods and proficiency with GIS, including experience with ArcGIS 10, ArcGIS Pro, SuperACE, and FLIPS
• Timber cruising experience and familiarity with PNW species
• Experience with Lidar data, 3D Analyst tools, and Spatial Analyst tools preferred
• Experience with other PNW growth and yield models a plus
• Strong computer skills required, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel; experience with Microsoft Access is a plus
• Demonstrated organizational skills with superior attention to detail
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Positive attitude, self-motivated, ability to work as a "team" member in a crew environment
Why Join Our Team?
Because this is more than an invitation, it's a commitment to offer opportunities for personal and professional growth to everyone! We ask people to grow with us and make the company even better.
We provide an excellent benefit package including a full Health Benefits Plan with low cost premiums, a 401(k) with Company Match, additional Retirement Contributions, and company paid Life Insurance.
In addition, for over 38 years, the Sierra Pacific Foundation has provided scholarships to help the children of our crew members with education expenses. Each year, we give an average of $500,000 in scholarships.
If you are qualified and would like to join our team, please send a cover letter referencing this position and a resume by January 22, 2019 to:
Sierra Pacific Industries
Paul Niemer, Human Resources
PO Box 496011
Redding, CA 96049
Interested in SPI, but not this job? Look for future openings at: www.spi-ind.com/careers
About Our Company
Sierra Pacific Industries started in 1949 and has grown to be one of the largest lumber and millwork producers in the U.S., employing over 5,000 crew members. Sierra Pacific continues to be a company where its employees are proud to work at state-of-the-art facilities and others strive to become part of the team.
We are a third generation family-owned company based in Northern California. Sierra Pacific owns and sustainably manages nearly 2 million acres of timberland in California and Washington. We are growing forests for our future, planting over 6 million new trees every year. Our forests are managed under a 100-year plan by Registered Professional Foresters, Wildlife Biologists, Botanists, and other professionals.
Sierra Pacific effectively uses nearly 100% of every piece of wood we bring to our facilities. In fact, any small amount that isn't turned into hand-crafted doors and windows, millwork, lumber, or landscaping material is actually converted into electricity in our seven biomass-fueled power plants.
We are proud that all Sierra Pacific facilities follow our drug-free and tobacco-free policies. As part of our safety in the workplace policy, an offer of employment is subject to a negative drug screen result. We use E-verify to verify the social security number and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Sierra Pacific is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer, including those with a disability and veterans.
All Contents © 1999-2018. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse