Organization: CITY OF BOULDER CITY
Title: GIS Analyst
Location: Boulder City, Nevada
Application Deadline: 2019-03-31
Applicants are invited to apply for a GIS Analyst position with the City of Boulder City. This position performs highly technical duties designing and developing Geographic Information System (GIS) applications, performing analytical modeling in support of planning and maintenance functions, and creating, updating and managing the city’s GIS digital data sets.
Plan, direct, and coordinate the activities of the Geographic Information System; develop and implement procedures for GIS functions; maintain processes for enhancing the utilization of GIS technologies to support various functional needs throughout the city. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with city GIS users and other organizations and promote the highest level of customer service to internal and external GIS users. Responsible for the design, development, implementation, and support of enterprise GIS systems supporting desktop, web-based and mobile GIS applications, data and integrations. Develop, maintain, and administer the enterprise SQL geodatabase and Esri file geodatabases, manage users and updates, and troubleshoot system anomalies. Digitize, edit, update, and manage spatial and attribute data to maintain specialized GIS datasets for use in city operations, planning, and analysis and to display spatial relationships of city assets and resources. Perform spatial and attribute analyses on city assets to provide decision support for planning and maintenance operations. Evaluate customer needs and develop GIS products and services in response to a variety of internal and external customer requests, including custom map exhibits, web-based and mobile maps and applications, reports, and analysis. Perform quality control checks to ensure the integrity of the database and the reliability of the GIS data, products and services. Interpret engineering as-builts and aerial imagery to pinpoint data discrepancies, utilize hand-held GPS equipment, and coordinate/perform field verifications with maintenance personnel to acquire or correct city asset data. Prepare technical documentation for GIS applications, workflow processes and procedures, GIS database metadata, user reference materials and operating procedures. Create and modify applications providing end-user GIS interfaces on desktop, web-based, and mobile applications. Represent the City at outside agencies and professional organizations, attend training courses, and participate in meetings with other professionals to remain current in the GIS field. Coordinate the exchange of GIS data between the City and outside agencies. Monitor developments in the field of geographic information systems, determine their potential effect upon the City’s system, and recommend procedural and equipment changes to ensure system updating. Train staff and users in the operation and application of GIS, and provide technical support as required.
Any combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography, engineering, mathematics or related field and 3+ years of professional level experience developing and implementing geographic information system applications and creating and managing digital geographic spatial and attribute data.
Must possess a valid State of Nevada Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and maintain a satisfactory driving record.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge and experience with computers, plotters and software related to GIS work, specifically Esri ArcGIS 10+ (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox), and ArcGIS Server, and general application software (Microsoft Word and Excel); skill in the use of Microsoft SQL, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Pro desirable
• Skill in creating and editing digital geographic data
• Strong geodatabase development and management skills
• Ability to manage an enterprise geodatabase and publish feature map services
• Ability to design and implement mobile maps and applications
• Strong analytical/problem solving skills and the ability to think/work independently
• Strong understanding of geographic principles, such as coordinate systems and map projections
• Strong cartographic skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including professional map presentations
• Knowledge of Python scripting language and ability to create automated programs/tasks
• Ability to organize workload assignments and establish and maintain courteous and cooperative working relationships
• Ability to provide technical support for GIS applications and evaluate and implement system upgrades
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
• The work is typically performed in an office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, staff from other city departments, personnel from other local governments, state agencies and private organizations, elected and appointed officials, vendors, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, or to resolve problems.
The most highly qualified applicants will be contacted (via e-mail) and asked to continue in the process.
Qualified applicants should complete a City of Boulder City application at www.bcnv.org/careers. Appointment subject to complete background investigation and physical examination.
The pool of qualified candidates derived from this recruitment may be used to fill more than one position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
“CLEAN GREEN BOULDER CITY’
All Contents © 1999-2018. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse