Organization: New Jersey Highlands Council
Title: GIS Specialist
Location: Chester, NJ
Application Deadline: 2019-06-21
Type of Position: Full Time (35 hours/week, Exempt) Unclassified Salary Range: $50,000 - $70,000
Date: Issue Date: 5/21/2019 Closing Date: 6/21/2019
The New Jersey Highlands Water Protection and Planning Council is a regional planning agency charged with protecting drinking water for more than half the residents of New Jersey. The Highlands Council is a State Agency and was established by the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act of 2004. The Council is supported in its efforts by a professional staff of planning, science and GIS experts. As a regional planning entity, the Highlands Council works in partnership with municipalities and counties to develop programs and planning initiatives that help ensure the long-term health of the region’s natural resources and economies.
The Highlands Council seeks a GIS Specialist to process and prepare information for planners, scientists, the leadership team, and communications staff. He/she will be actively involved with the implementation of the monitoring program recommendations report. Maintain the spatial database infrastructure of the NJ Highlands Council GIS data. Work with the Office of Information Technology and Consultants to update and maintain Highlands public data and interactive mapping applications.
• Follow GIS projects through their entire lifecycle, from requirements gathering, choosing the technical platform, implementation, and presenting the results.
• Creates workflow to update RMP era data by interpreting technical reports and gathering historical information from other staff.
• Perform spatial analysis and create cartographic deliverables
New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer
May 22, 2019
• Coordinate with the NJ Office of Information Technology to deliver data updates for use in ArcGIS online, Open Data and web mapping applications.
• Updates and produces data to inform preservation priorities within the region.
• Train on GIS software and tools. Produce documentation and training materials.
• 1 to 3 years work experience in GIS, cartography, urban/regional planning, environmental science, architecture, civil engineering, computer science and/or graphic design.
• New college graduates will be considered provided they possess relevant internship experience and appropriate coursework in GIS and either cartography, graphic design or information technology.
• Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in GIS, environmental planning, ecology, natural resource management, geology, computer science, architecture, engineering, geography or a closely related field.
• Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in other fields such as, but not limited to graphic design, environmental policy, or communications will be considered provided they possess relevant coursework in GIS and cartography and/or a GIS Certificate from an accredited institution.
• Required: ESRI ArcGIS 10, Microsoft Office Suite
• Recommended: Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign Python scripting, SQL, Java Script, PostgreSQL, Arc Server, Arc GIS Online administration, Quick Terrain Modeler,
Residency Requirement: New Jersey Residence Required in accordance with Public Law, N.J. S. A. 52-14.7(1.2011, Chapter 70) effective September 1, 2011. If you do not reside in New Jersey, you have one year after the date you begin employment to relocate your residency to New Jersey.
To be considered for this position, please e-mail, fax or mail the following to the address below no later than June 21, 2019.
1) Cover letter indicating your interest and experience
3) Example of professional work products (map portfolio, writing samples, etc.)
4) Names and phone numbers of at least three references.
Ranji Persaud, Human Resources Manager New Jersey Highlands Council
100 North Road
Chester, New Jersey 07930 Facsimile: 908-879-4205
E-mail: [email protected]
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse