Title: GIS Specialist - Fiber Network
Location: Baltimore, MD USA
The Fiber Network GIS Specialist supports an extensive fiber network through a geospatial network model of the components and configuration for a large urban area. The position requires knowledge of communication networks and the ability of GIS systems to model and analyze them. This is a technical support and advisory role working with multiple organizations and stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for digitizing fiber network resources; editing, updating and managing digitized assets; validation of provided as-built documentation through communication with contracting companies and/or field verification.
- Will create and provide cartographic products of fiber network assets to local government officials and other verified stakeholders.
- Perform routine field verification of fiber network assets to validate accuracy.
- Provides necessary on-call support for trouble-shooting procedures to assist the fiber team when network interruptions occur.
- Responsible for working with fiber engineer on network capacity planning
- Ensures documentation is provided by fiber vendors and is kept up-to-date.
- Ensures internal documentation is complete and accurate as possible.
- Provides accurate documentation to fiber and network teams to facilitate decision-making and future growth analysis.
- Maintains and administers electronic documentation portals (ArcGIS / OSPInSIght file server(s).
- Works in conjunction with the enterprise data team to provide updates to GIS fiber network data for inclusion on the enterprise GIS database and meets regularly with team to discuss concerns.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop 10.x.
- Experience using Advance Fiber Optics (AFO) OSPInSight Edit 8.x fiber network management Esri ArcGIS extension application or similar.
- Strong data digitization and editing skills in ArcGIS environment.
- Strong GIS database administration and management skills.
- Experience converting data between various spatial formats (e.g., Esri geodatabase feature classes, shapefiles, KML, spreadsheets).
- Strong cartographic design skills, following guidelines and standards for effective data visualization.
- Experience using SQL to query databases/datasets in GIS environment; experience using SQL Server Management Studio.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented.
- Strong communication skills; ability to work as member of team as well as independently.
- Experience in automating GIS data processing tasks using Python scripting language.
- Knowledge and experience with CAD data (e.g., engineering as-built documentation).
Preferred qualifications include: Minimum Associate’s degree in GIS, computer science, information technology, public safety or similar discipline. Requires at least two years of work experience in a GIS related field, preferably in public safety telecommunications. Requires Esri ArcGIS and/or Esri software certification. Ability to manage projects, work independently and communicate effectively are also requirements.
This is a full-time position located in Baltimore, Maryland. Compensation is based on experience and qualifications. A comprehensive set of benefits including health insurance and 401(k) profit sharing are included.
For immediate consideration, please send a resume to [email protected] and include “Fiber Network GIS Specialist" in the “Subject” line.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse