Organization: Shawnee County, KS
Title: GIS Analyst I
Location: Topeka, KS
Please visit our website for instructions to apply and more detailed information: https://www.snco.us/oasys
Contact Lee Allen, GIS Manager, at [email protected] for questions regarding this position.
Performs highly technical tasks pertaining to the development of geographic data, maps, and applications. Involves the design and development of geographic data. Geographic analysis and application development and/or database administration, design, creation and management. Significant client interaction. Collaboration and effective communication with GIS management and other County staff. Assists the GIS Technician and the GIS Manager. This position is supervised by the GIS Manager.
20% Project Management. Conduct GIS analysis project management including needs assessment, project design, creation, and implementation. Manage GIS projects from beginning to completion.
20% Design and Manage GIS applications. Develop new GIS applications and maintain applications already in use.
20% Technical Workflow Development. Perform analysis on current GIS workflows and offer alternatives to make workflow more streamlined. Develop scripts to assist in automated workflows.
20% Maintain GIS Data. Perform advanced editing on enterprise GIS data for projects. Provide quality control for GIS data.
10% Customer Service. Assist public on the phone and in the office with questions and problems regarding ownership, property lines, custom maps, etc. Create and plot maps as necessary for internal departments and the public. Provides service to the public regarding interactive maps. Provides GIS support to all departments.
10% Training and Documentation. Provide GIS training to internal staff. Document projects and create training guides. Document application programming and workflows.
• Knowledge of the principles, theories and methodologies of Cartography, Geographic Information Systems and associated information technologies.
• Practical knowledge of Esri software modules to include ArcGIS Desktop (Pro, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, Arc Tools, Model Builder), ArcGIS Server Enterprise, enterprise databases, Esri mobile technology, and associated application of the technology in a production environment.
• Practical knowledge of Python scripting language to create well - designed scripts and maintain and troubleshoot existing scripts or ability to quick learn the Python
• Basic understanding of networking, client-server computing concepts, database design concepts.
• Knowledge of project management techniques and their application in a technical environment.
• Working knowledge of SQL for use in GIS applications
• Learn new concepts quickly and efficiently.
• Make responsible decisions, sometimes quickly.
• Read and interpret legal descriptions.
• Translate and simplify technical material for dissemination.
• Accurately create data and manage projects in a timely fashion.
• Edit data with minimal errors in spelling.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, using the English language.
Bachelors Degree with major course work in geography, computer technology, engineering, or closely related field preferred. A high school diploma or GED with experience in the GIS field and advanced training or certification may be substituted for college education.
Three to five years experience in GIS, with focus on project and data analysis, data development, database management, and scripting. Project management experience is desired.
All Contents © 1999-2019. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse