Organization: State of Minnesota, MNIT, Dept. Natural Resources
Title: GIS Data Steward and App Developer
Location: St. Paul, MN USA
Application Deadline: 2021-09-29
Apply on the State of Minnesota Careers website. Search for Job ID: 48512
Direct link to posting: https://careers.mn.gov/psp/mnjob/MNCAREERS/HRCR/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1001&JobOpeningId=48512&PostingSeq=1
As the GIS Data Steward and App Developer, you will provide GIS (Geospatial Information System) data management and programming as part of the MNIT DNR GIS Section. This work includes the creation, update, reporting, geoprocessing, and analysis of geospatial datasets and web services. In addition, this position will provide geospatial application development and scripting on web, mobile, server, and desktop platforms.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate all of the following qualifications in their resume.
- Position requires a minimum of two (2) years of IT related experience. Experience must include GIS support and application development in an operational environment. A Bachelorís degree in Information Technology or related substitutes for two years of experience, OR related Associateís substitutes for one year.
- Two years of experience using ESRI desktop software suite of tools and extensions.
- Applied skill with geospatial analysis techniques
- Ability to organize, transform, standardize, edit, and maintain spatial datasets
- Experience with ArcGIS for Server, ArcGIS Online, or ArcGIS Portal platform
- Experience authoring and publishing spatial data services using ESRI ArcGIS for Server
- BA/BS in Information Systems or related field
- MA in Geographic Information Systems
- Oral and written communication skills
- Experience creating custom SQL (or equivalent) queries to extract, transform, and load data into databases
- Applied skills with programming languages, importantly Python, ArcPy, and the Esri ArcGIS API for Python
- Experience with Python based web frameworks such as FastAPI or Flask
- Experience building and deploying mobile and web applications
- Experience with GPS technology for natural resource applications
- Experience authoring metadata
- Knowledge of enterprise database systems
- Experience with cloud technology (e.g. Azure or Amazon Web Services)
- Knowledge of natural, cultural, and recreation resource management
- Experience conducting one-on-one and group training
- Ability to troubleshoot and find appropriate solutions to common technical problems
- Understanding of CSS, SML, XML, HTML5 and other markup and data interchange languages
**Successful candidate must pass past-employer reference checks and a criminal history verification**
It is the policy of the Minnesota IT Services that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past state employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Record Check
- DHS Vulnerable Adult Check
- Licensure and/or Certification Verification
- Other legally required records checks
- Personal Reference Check
- Credit Check
- Tax background check
**Minnesota IT Services will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.**
Why Work For Us
Minnesota IT Services offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, defined benefit pension plan, tax-deferred compensation plan (457), generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. In addition, at the managementís discretion, Minnesota IT Services offers flexible work scheduling, telework options, mentorship opportunities, employee recognition and reward programs, and paid training and development. Join Minnesota IT Services now and stay for a career!
How to Apply
This vacancy is open for bids and all qualified applicants simultaneously. This vacancy will be filled in accordance with applicable union contract provisions. Current employees of Minnesota IT Services who are currently in an Information Technology Specialist 2 position and who are eligible to bid and apply within the seven (7) day bidding period will be considered prior to filling the position via other means.
Current State Employees: Please note that employment provisions (including but not limited to seniority and leave accrual) vary among the three branches of Minnesota State government. When considering a job with another branch of state government, you are highly encouraged to explore these differences. For assistance, please direct questions to your current or anticipated Human Resources office.
If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to www.mn.gov/careers
To be considered for any Veteranís Status, you MUST indicate this on your application.
RECENTLY SEPARATED VETERANS (RSV): Effective July 1, 2009, legislation provides that the top five RSV applicants who apply and meet the qualifications for a vacancy shall be granted an interview. To qualify, you must meet the following: 1) have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States; 2) have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more or for the full period ordered to active duty or have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on active duty; 3) be a United States citizen or resident alien; and 4) have served in active military service at any time on or after September 11, 2001, as shown on your DD-214 form. To be considered under this legislation, you must: 1) meet all Minimum Qualifications identified in this posting; 2) meet all of the above RSV criteria; and 3) submit a copy of your DD-214 form by the closing date to: [email protected] Failure to submit your DD-214 form will affect your consideration for an interview under this legislation.
CERTAIN DISABLED VETERANS: Effective August 1, 2012, legislation provides state agencies with the option to appoint certain disabled veterans on a noncompetitive basis if you: 1) meet service requirements and have a verified service-connected disability rating of at least 30%; 2) provide qualifying documentation verifying the disability; and 3) meet all Minimum Qualifications identified in this posting. To be considered under this legislation you must submit all documentation by the closing date to: [email protected]
If you have questions about the position, contact Mai Vang at [email protected]
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse