Title: Geospatial Developer
Location: Seattle, WA; Springfield, OR; Columbia Falls, MT; Hot Springs, AR; Atlanta, GA; Madison, GA
You are energized by solving problems using location-based data. You take pride in enabling critical business processes through timely, accurate, and innovative geospatial services and solutions. You are passionate about sustainable natural resource management. You are a team player but can excel working independently as well. You are approachable, speak both “GIS” and “IT”, and are looking for a company you can grow in.
We are a fast-moving team that manages the enterprise-level GIS platform, applications, data, and services for Weyerhaeuser. GIS is critical to daily operations on Weyerhaeuser’s 11+ million acres of US timberlands. We’re not just in the cloud, we’re implementing technology that will keep us at the forefront of innovation in the forest products and land management industries. This includes transforming access to the company’s GIS assets using web and mobile solutions. If you want to be part of a world-class technology team changing the world we live in – come grow with us!
In this role, you will develop, deploy and administer enterprise SQL databases that are spatially enabled using ESRI’s ArcGIS Server and native spatial data types. One of your primary responsibilities will be the development and maintenance of a spatial data warehouse that serves a critical role to the organization. Collaborating on the design of the next generation of the data warehouse will be a top priority on your roadmap. In this wide-ranging role, you will also help to administer our GIS infrastructure in the cloud. A desire to learn new skills in all areas of responsibility will be critical to your success.
• Maintain and enhance a spatial data warehouse that is sourced from several disparate business systems
• Assist with database architecture and design of Esri enterprise geodatabases
• Create and maintain SQL Server components for extract-transform-load (ETL) processes: SSIS packages, database schema (including native Geometry spatial data types), stored procedures and functions
• Apply understanding of business needs and thorough understanding of business data to produce data products for enterprise use
• Create and maintain CI/CD pipelines to support unit testing and deployment through integration with source control system
• Create and manage schema documentation and other technical artifacts relating to development
• Partner with our DBAs to define and implement database security consistent with enterprise standards, perform database server upgrades, and assist with disaster recovery processes while adhering to documented IT Controls
• Monitor and manage spatial data indexes, database performance, and tuning
• Partner with vendors and peers in IT to advance the GIS team roadmap
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geography, Information Technology or related field, or equivalent experience is required
• Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of progressive, relevant GIS/IT experience
• Actively working to learn new skills in order to stay current with changing technologies and industry trends, shares knowledge proactively with others
• Able to apply business knowledge to develop and deliver innovative, value-added improvements
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, skilled in communicating technical topics to non-technical audiences
• Excellent collaboration skills in working together with others across all IT segments
• Proven ability to operate and effectively communicate while under pressure; as well as the ability to manage a diverse workload and work under time constraints with minimal supervision
• This position requires occasional travel up to 10%
• Deep knowledge of geospatial data and RDBMS systems
• SQL coding and best practices, including:
o coding and optimizing programmable objects like stored procedures and functions
o designing, implementing, and materializing views
o writing automation packages for ETL processes, e.g. SSIS or Azure Data Factory
o performance evaluation with tools like Activity Monitor and SQL Profiler
o performance optimization of database operations
• Possess mid-to-senior level GIS technical knowledge and skills including geodatabase design, spatial relationships, and scripting
• Proficient with the ESRI ArcGIS platform, including ArcGIS Desktop/Pro, Server, Enterprise/Portal, and Image Server
• General familiarity with python scripting and automation of GIS tasks, preferably with arcpy or the ArcGIS API for Python
• Ability to provision and maintain distributed ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Image Server infrastructure in AWS
• Experience provisioning, monitoring, and optimizing server infrastructure, especially in the cloud
• Familiarity with public cloud services (AWS) and CI/CD tools.
• Familiarity with forestry, real estate, and land title concepts and datasets.
• Working knowledge of ITIL/ITSM principles and practices.
• Familiarity with/exposure to modern cloud data stores and platforms (Postgres, Snowflake, RedShift, etc.)
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.
All Contents © 1999-2021. The GIS Jobs Clearinghouse